Saturday, April 17, 2010

Pat Tillman Run April 17 2010





Last Saturday, the 173rd sponsorded a run in honor of Pat Tillman. Pat Tillman was killed on April 22, 2004 while stationed in Afghanistan out of FOB Salerno. Apparently, they have been having this annual run for a while, but this is the first time it was held at FOB Shank. It was 4.2 miles, including a monstrous hill run that we do twice, once just wasn’t good enough. We had over 600 runners, not bad for a base of 2-3000 troops. Because I am the only Orthopod here, I had to run carrying a radio the entire time. I think that explains why I didn’t win. I actually did ok for an old guy here. I finished 3rd in my age group ( 50-59), but then again, I admit there wasn’t a lot in my age group. One of my co-surgeons, LTC Sam Aldridge, just turned 50. He was one of the younger guys in our age group, so he had an advantage. He finished first in our age group. I frequently run with Sam. He is a very good runner and road biker in the summer. He usually finishes ahead of me, so it was no surprise that he finished first.

I have included a few photos from that run.



This is a photo of all the people from the 909th who ran. A few had to stay back and be available if something came in.




A fair amount of Jordanians were there supporting their runners. They were having quite a celebration and dancing in front of the start line. If fact, they continued their dance at the finish line also. They had more dancers than runners.




The local Afghanistan had their representatives as well. I am not so sure that they are used to long runs. The whole race they would sprint, then stop and walk, then full sprint, then stop and walk. I bet I passed some of them 5 or 6 times during their walks, then they would pass me when they sprinted.




The run was a lot of fun. Actually, it was more fun when the race was done. They had a lot snacks, all nutritional of course. They even had a couple of cakes with pictures of Pat Tillman on them. I didn't stay around to sample it (I know that is unusual for me). One of the medics from our sister medical group, Charlie Med, won the race. He is from Kenya, so that gave him an advantage. He is a nice young man, a medic. Some day he wants to go back to his country help out his people. I think that is very admirable. By the time I finished, he already had his feet up and was on his second cup of coffee.




Picture of the hill we ran up and down. We would run up on the far right, run across the ridge, which is the border of our FOB. Then run down coming from the left. We did that twice just for fun.




The main group I hang with the most. Far left, Major Joe Sucher (Gen Surg), LTC Randy Hoeppner (CRNA), LTC Mike Bruce (Gen Surg), yours truly, and LTC Sam Aldridge (Vascular/Gen Surg). Major Sucher is not in our age group. (By the way, there are a lot more people in my age group than pictured here.)



I am carrying my radio. I just made the turn off my second run on the hill. I was glad the hill part was done, at least for me.


Tom

No comments: