Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My New Home - FOB Shank


Dr Joe Sucher and myself after arriving at FOB Shank






My new home – FOB Shank

I appreciate people’s comments and thoughts on my blog. Feel free to write whenever and as often as you like.


The Army stresses to travel anywhere with a friend or “Battle Buddy” as they like to refer to them as. It is probably not a bad idea. You never know when something can happen, especially at night. If you get injured or whatever, at least your battle buddy can get help. It is not so critical here at the base, but especially outside the wire, it is a requirement. Major Joe Sucher, a General Surgeon, and I have been battle buddies so to speak since we left the CRC in Fort Bennings, Georgia. He is a good guy, younger than me, in his mid forties.

Well, I have been here a little over a week now. The place is starting to grow on me. It is not so bad. It could be a lot worse. Initially, they had Joe, and I in some temporary housing. It wasn’t bad; at least we had a bed instead of a cot. The heater was intermittent at best. It seemed that the fan was on all the time. It would blow hot air for a while, then shut the heat off and continue to blow cold air and then repeat the cycle. At least we had a wonderful gift from the leaving surgeons. An electric blanket that still worked. My wife, Nancy, was kind enough to send me some flannel sheets ahead of time. So when I arrived, the blanket and sheets made it good to go and I was toasty at night. It took a little discipline to get up in the cold mornings.
>
One of the main streets at Shank on a clear day






The weather here has been miserable, but what do I expect? After all, it is the middle of winter in a mountain area. Our elevation is 6800 ft I believe. The afternoon that we arrived, it was beautiful. It was cool, upper 40’s, but clear skies. The next day it started to rain, then sleet, then snow. Fortunately, the snow doesn’t stick around and it does dry out in a few days. Everything is just mud for those few days however.

>
The streets turn to mud after sleet/snow. The building on the right is the USO where I sometimes call home and use the computers






We are now in our permanent quarters, I believe, at FOB Shank ( Forward Operating Base). Joe and I were quite spoiled at first. We arrived about 4 or 5 days before our regular unit, the 909th FST, arrived. We had our whole tent to ourselves. It was quite, didn’t have to worry much about noise or bothering anyone. Now the entire unit is here. 15 males are crammed in. We still have 3 cots, so some unlucky privates have those. I am told that eventually, those cots will be replaced with beds, but when.



This is my cubby whole in our tent. Cozy. A little cramped, but all niceties of home, well sort of.



The tent after the 909th moved in

Tom

14 comments:

Mona said...

Glad to see you have finally made it to your destination. Stay safe! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

Mona & Gayle Armstrong

Joe said...

Hi Tom Hope all is well, thanks for the update, Having a buddy named Joe not to bad, is he a mayor to, Happy Valatine's Day but you would rather hear that from Nancy, Be Safe your Stonegate friends

Unknown said...

Susan just informed me of your blog tonight. I've read all the old entries and they bring back memories of my time in the Army. It's good to see you're safe and making a difference out there.

I wish more people could experience the military, it just gives you a new perspective to see how people in other parts of the world live, and just how good we Americans have it. It's hard to take the little things for granted, and complain about our country after that.

Keep up the good work, and stay safe.

-David

Jean Lewis said...

Hi Tom- you're doing great at keeping us updated on your life out there in Afghanistan. I was looking at your photos, and saw that one had a picture of the USO there.... but I didn't see any big-screen TV! Well, at least they have computers, so that's good. It's a bit of "home" when you're so far away, and I'm sure it means alot to have those few comforts when you're in such a desolate place. Glad you're staying warm and I hope things stay calm there. It looks as if your FOB is just like the tv show M.A.S.H..... is it?... didn't see any martinis though. Lew says hi and hopes you're staying safe... tell your "buddy" he's with precious cargo! Take care...~Jean and Lew

Jean Lewis said...

Hi Tom- you're doing great at keeping us updated on your life out there in Afghanistan. I was looking at your photos, and saw that one had a picture of the USO there.... but I didn't see any big-screen TV! Well, at least they have computers, so that's good. It's a bit of "home" when you're so far away, and I'm sure it means alot to have those few comforts when you're in such a desolate place. Glad you're staying warm and I hope things stay calm there. It looks as if your FOB is just like the tv show M.A.S.H..... is it?... didn't see any martinis though. Lew says hi and hopes you're staying safe... tell your "buddy" he's with precious cargo! Take care...~Jean and Lew

Unknown said...

I recently cared for a young male trauma patient who,after multiple extensive surgeries to save his leg,had a BKA. He feels so alone and helpless with a young child,wife and baby on the way. I told him about you and the work you do overseas. I let him know there are brave men and women who lose limbs everyday and are able to go home and be a very active part of their families again. Thanks for having the heart to help others and to give hope to those men and women so far from home. Maybe you can give another trauma talk when you get back. Your friends here in the ER are praying for your safe return. Becky,RN Condell

K said...

thank you so much for this post on FOB Shank. My brother in law is currently stationed there and it is wonderful to see pictures. This gave a bit of a connection. May you all stay safe!

teamholt said...

Hello. You don't know me; I found your blog while searching for FOB Shank online. My husband will be deploying to FOB Shank in October of 2010. I am not sure if you read these comments as it looks like you are home now. If you do read these, I would love to know items that you enjoyed having shipped to you. The note about flannel sheets was helpful. So if you do have time, I would love to know any care package ideas. Thanks so much! -Sandy at teamholt@hotmail.com

christy said...

Sandy,
My brother John is there now also. And, yes the flannel sheet/electric blanket tip is a good one. he will definitely be receiving those items soon!

Cathy said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences. My son James just left for there last week and I will be sure to send those flannel sheets! I fouund your blog when I googled FOB Shank from the address he gave me. Thanks again.

Cathy

John said...

Hi. Have a son who just left last night for FOB Shank. I've read the flannel sheets and elec blanket notes. Is there anything else that the "new guys" could use? And does anyone have an idea how long it takes to get mail there? Thanks! John

Anonymous said...

well said sir!! i have been here about 2 weeks now! you put my experience here so far in black and white! what happens next?

Unknown said...

Hi All family/relatives of Army who deploy in FOB SHANK logar, Afghanistan this is Shahin.

i am an Local national linguist interpreter of Army in FOB SHANK and i am an Afghan national i have to say to all families of army down in FOB SHANK there is best ever place for army and nothing worry warm water , different food, anyway every thing that an army want he/she can find very easily also FOB SHANK is in Logar province of Afghanistan which no far from Capital of Afghanistan means Kabul city.
i am every 2 months come my home in Kabul from FOB SHANK .
if you have any thing saying to your relatives armies in FOB SHANK so I can Help you are to link you are with your relatives as i am interpreter inside the FOB SHANK.
this is my email address ramin_shahin@hotmail.com .

thanks
i hope every body should not be worry from this place. wish you all the best of of luck.
bye

Glyphia said...

Hey there Dr. Bone....
i have a special request: I need a good Chinook man (or men) at Shank to help with our Operation Hooah!
The last guys I had at Shank got sent home earlier than they thought they would and didn't have time to hand off to another pilot or crew chief, which is how things have worked for the past 2+ years. We need a Chinook guy to which we can send our care packages, so he can see to it they are loaded in with the other supplies and delivered out to the back of beyond to the guys in the small outposts with no access to facilities. I have a man at Bagram, and my son, Chad Everett begins his 2nd deployment in about 3 weeks. He is our original Intrepid Chinook Pilot, and handed off to some great guys who have kept things going for us ever since. He will be at J-Bad instead of BAF this time, but I understand they are no longer flying ring routes out of BAF anyway. OUR CAUSE: delivering care packages to the guys posted out in the small outposts who have no access to facilities. If you could please give my email to a good Chinook guy, who would like to enhance his experience in A-stan, and ask them to contact me. The PO will not allow us to send to "any soldier" hence the need to use the Chinook dudes and send our packages via their address. Please visit us at OperationHooah.com and join us on facebook! http://www.causes.com/causes/239271
Thanks! And thank you for your service and for all you do for our hero soldiers.
R. Everett
OperationHooah(at)gmail(dot)com