Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Things That Go Boom

At dusk after we received 3 inches of new snow outside my tent Feb 19 The weather here is up and down. It seems to be the same for a few days, then changes. It will be snow and rain for 2-3 days, then clear skies for 2-3 days. When it is snowing and raining, everything is socked in. The satellite goes down and no internet for a while. Long distance phones go down. The place is snow covered for a while, then turns to mud everywhere. The mud gets tracked into the tents and covers everything. You get used to it. It gets to the point where you just accept it and don’t bother cleaning it off things. When the sun comes out, it takes 2 or 3 days to finally dry, then the mud is replaced by brown dirt and dust. Then it rains and repeats the whole process again. The other night it snowed about 2 or 3 inches. It looked pretty for a while until the next day when it turned to slush and mud. The 155 Holwitzer. The ground shakes when this goes off The other day I was sitting in my tent on my computer and heard a loud boom. The ground and entire tent shook like the ground does when T-Rex was coming in Jurassic Park. About 5 minutes later, it would happen again. We were not getting mortared or rocketed. I walked around a bit and found our huge guns going off. We have 3 large, 155 Howlitzers. We also have four 119 Howlitzers that shoot 105 rounds. Each of these shells weigh from 65 to over 100lbs. These are cannons that they pull in the back of a truck. The barrel is bigger than the barrel on a tank. My friend and I walked up to them, got within about 25 ft and they shot another round. The shock wave from firing can almost knock you over. You had to have earplugs in or you would go deaf. They tell us that the range is 26 miles, incredible. I don’t know if it was a training exercise or they were shooting a specific location to support a mission. I would hate to be on the receiving end of that thing. I am glad we were shooting out instead of receiving it. The smaller 119 Holwitzer shoots 105mm rounds. After the 119 fires, you can hardly see due to the gun powder smoke Things have been slow which is a good thing. With the weather so bad, nothing is moving. I have clinic twice a week in which I see a few simple things, like broken hands, minor cuts, etc. I think they are waiting for the weather to get better, and then I think we will make up for the down time. I guess I should enjoy it while I can.

Tom

4 comments:

Jackie and Mary said...

Dr. Baier... It's Tuesday afternoon, and we miss you. Didn't think that you would mind if we slacked for a few minutes to say Hello! Sounds like it's quiet for you right now... Things have been pretty busy here. A little snow here brings in many new injuries, and we've had snow! Continue to be safe, and just know that you are always in our thoughts.

Vicky Baughman said...

Hi Dr. Baier,
Thank You for the return letter. It is very interesting to learn about what is going on out in Afghanistan. When I got your letter, I realized how long it is since I received a letter! Everything is e-mail or calling these days.
Your Blog is interesting to all of us at Ball Hort. Co. Thanks for sharing.

Jean Lewis said...

HI Tom- just want you to know Lew and I are finding your blog very interesting and we look forward to every entry. And we love your pictures! Sounds like your weather is pretty crummy, though.

I must say... the USO looks a bit different that O'Hare's! Take care, Tom. ~Jean

Unknown said...

Dr. Baier,

Hope all is going well. My left knee has been doing fairly well. I have been working hard to strengthen it. My wife, Cecelia Alexander, is doing better following your 5 pins and a plate surgery. She is now back at work. She has had some challenges due to the swelling in her right foot. I suspect that this is largely a function of her 12 hour days as a labor and delivery nurse at Condell. Quite often she just can't get off her feet. My son stopped by recently with a broken foot. My question to you is, when do the volume discounts kick in?????

We really appreciate your efforts in Afghanistan. Your involvement makes a big difference to the many that you touch. Thanks. Marc Alexander