Friday, September 26, 2008

Army Patch



Well, it is official. I received my arm patch. In the military, there is a tradition of after you have been in a combat zone for over 30 days you get a patch for your arm. They had a little ceremony at the CSH to give a group of us our patches. So it is official. I have been in a combat zone for over 30 days. We wear the flag backwards on our right shoulder. That is because we always have the stars facing forward, or leading us. I have about 30 days or so left. This last month time has gone by quickly, so I think I will be home in no time.

Ramadan should over in a few more days. They definitely made us busier, but fortunately, not that much of the really big traumas, mainly the smaller stuff. Part of that could be related to how much the equipment has changed. I am seeing more protective things around the vehicles, like this big wire fence looking thing. The idea behind it is that the grenades get tied up in the fence and detonate outside the vehicle instead of ON the vehicle which helps keep the injuries down. They also have more reinforced vehicles, even since I have been here.


They have a vehicle called MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protection). It has steel reinforced armor and the inside is has a separate carriage that blows away from the frame so not as much impact hits the soldiers inside. We have had a few head injuries when they don’t wear their Kevlars inside, but not nearly the bodily injuries we see from unprotected vehicles.


The weather is still quite dry. Some days you can see for a distance. Other days the dust is so thick, it is like fog. I hear they are predicting rain next week and even night time temps below 70. At least that will help with the dust.

Tom

No comments: