Wednesday, September 10, 2008

He is a Hero


This morning, (about 9 or 10 PM Tuesday night Chicago time) I got on the internet to look up the news. We have an Army newspaper, Stars and Stripes, that makes it here about 3 or 4 times a week. It is always a few days behind. The paper I picked up yesterday was dated September 5th, so a few days behind. So to get more current news, I usually go to my Yahoo home page and read the current news, sports and important things, like how much my stocks have dropped this summer. I was looking in news on Iraq because outside of what is happening in Mosul, I really don’t know anything except bits and pieces. Anyhow, I was looking through the photo section (easier to look at the photos than read). I saw this photo and holy cow, I know this guy. President Bush was visiting Walter Reed and so they released this photo of the President saying hello to one of the soldiers. This is one of the guys I spent celebrating the first day of Ramadan with, only in the OR. When he came in, he was literally half dead. He required massive transfusions and all of us work a quite a bit on him. We usually don’t get follow up on our patients. Once they leave our facility, it is rare that we know how they finally did. I was really worried about his one leg surviving, but by the picture, it looks like both legs are making it. Just seeing his picture made me feel it is worth it. I don’t mean to brag, but knowing that I helped saved someone’s life and their limbs makes it all worth it. Especially since he is one of our soldiers, it makes it especially nice. I am glad I joined the Army and had this opportunity to help.

Seeing that soldier alive makes me glad I am here. I know I owe a lot of thanks to everyone back home; Nancy and my family for me being gone, my partners and Selina (my PA) for taking extra call and seeing my patients. Also, all my friends and relatives for their support, prayers and packages that I received. Thanks everyone for being so wonderful to our troops and myself.

I have been steadily busy here. Fortunately, it hasn’t been too much of the big trauma like above. I now have 3 clinics a week and see a lot of injuries in the EMT (ER). There are a fair amount of fractures and dislocations that keep me busy, just like back in the states. I usually just reduce them, cast them, and eventually they are sent to Germany. We don’t keep many soldiers in casts here. Especially if it is a leg cast and they are on crutches, it is too dangerous for them to stick around. Occasionally, if it is an arm cast, we keep them at the base and someone finds something for them to do.

I will do the critters next time

Tom

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's great the soldier made it back to the states and looks to be doing fairly well with all things considered. Have you heard any updates on the other soldiers from that day?

PONY SHOP said...

Glad you're doing well, Lynn and I are following the blog, can't wait to see the critters.