Sunday, September 7, 2008

How Embarrassing


The rest of the week has been much better than the beginning of the week. It took a bit to get caught up, but now I am pretty much back to my regular schedule. I was too busy to go to the gym for a few days and I thought I was getting soft.

Speaking about the gym, I had an embarrassing moment. Of course there are a lot of young bucks around. If we did a steroid test on them, I bet at least half of them would test positive. Anyway, I was just about done with my work out and I had one more set of the bench press to do. This was my maximal set; I was going for 5 or 6 reps, when one of the young bucks came in. He was young about my sons’ ages, but then again just about all of them here are about my kids’ ages. So I asked him for a spot, so I wouldn’t drop all that weight on my face. He was nice enough to help me. So as I got up, he wanted to use the bench, which I was done with. I asked if he wanted me to remove the weights I just used and he said no. So, as I turned away to get my water bottle and head phones, he proceed to do the bench press. The only thing is that my max set was his warm up set. He popped off a set of 10 reps with little effort. I left in a hurry. I guess that happens. At my age I should be happy that I am able to even do the bench press at all.

We had some visiting brass here for 2 days. So we had to do some cleaning up and get ready for inspection. I had to pretend I was a real soldier for a while. You know, like stand up straight, tuck my shirt in, and not wear my Cub hat in the OR. I actually talked to one of them for a bit. Nice guy. Originally from Wheaton, so we had something to chat about.


We are back to our Saturday night barbecue. That is where for a few hours we do our outside grill, drink our NA beer and tell our jokes and exchange stories. I grilled this week. We cook just hamburgers and hot dogs. We borrow buns, ketchup, and tomatoes from the dfac. No one had to report for food poisoning afterwards, so that is a good thing. After dark, we are required to wear these reflective belts. They really show up in the camera flash.

WARNING – I think at my next posting I will talk about slimy things that crawl around in the dirt here. We have a collection of a few critters. Anyone who doesn’t like snakes, or poisonous creatures, should probably skip my next blog.

Tom

3 comments:

Gayle said...

That's the Army way of thinking. You are in a combat zone yet they want you to wear a reflective belt or vest. Just makes you an easy target. All they have to do is shoot above the belt. Maybe a good idea to weat it on your helmet. Just kidding doc. Keep safe.

Top Gun said...

I'm with Gayle - Glow in the dark...hmmm...

But wait - you wear a CUBS hat in the OR?!?! Do you forget from whence you came?! ;-)

Glad to see "The Chicago Bear" on your front door (chuckle to think what Bill might say about that!) - but did you see the AMAZING win they had over the Colts in their brand new pretty stadium Sunday night?! (My boss's boss is from Indianapolis and yes, I DID give him a hard time about it. He countered with, "I save my enthusiasm for Super Bowls..." Right!)

Keep your head down -
Deb

Bearman said...

I know how you feel Tom, been back to the weight room lately at the Navy base and when I bench, I'm only doing the bar with no wieghts on it. Now thats embarrassing.

GO BEARS 1-0 record