Sunday, August 17, 2008

Big Ones in Iraq


The other day they found 2 poisonous scorpions. One was outside our Cho’s, the other was inside the EMT (ER). They were each about the size of my fist, so pretty good size. One of the SF guys (Special Forces) told me that they were big enough and had enough neurotoxins in it that if it stung a small child, he or she could be dead in 45 minutes if not treated. He thought the creature was not fully grown yet, that they can get bigger. I don’t know if he was trying to just scare me or impress me, but now I sleep with the light on and make sure I shake out my boots in the morning before putting them on.

I had an interesting experience the other day. They have these security guards all over the place. They are at the defac, the gym, every entrance and exit place. They are just about all from Uganda. Apparently, they are part of the multi-national Coalition Forces here. Besides the Americans and British, I see some Ukrainians and occasional other forces that I don’t recognize. I guess the other forces are friendly since they are walking around amongst us and no one gets too excited about it. Anyhow, I was walking into the gym and the Ugandan guard says to me something like “Mozaise” or something like that. So I ask him what that means and he says “Old Man”. Well that didn’t make my day. I worked out a little harder that day. Then I got to thinking, was it a compliment or not. In some of their tribes back home, the old men are like the tribal leaders and they are looked up to. It is a form of respect. Basically, if you lived long enough to get grey hair over there, that was looked upon as an accomplishment. Or, did he mean like what am I doing here with all these 20 something year olds. After all, I guess I am as old as most of these guy’s fathers. Just wait and see if he shows up in my clinic someday and see how long he waits.

Tom

6 comments:

Unknown said...

HA! That's hilarious old man.

Anonymous said...

I call you that, too. You just don't remember. I hear that happens to old guys, too.

G Caronis

Larry D said...

Just remember "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and talent"

Selina said...

Lets just see if he could do as many push ups and run as much at the same age. I would bet he won't be able to!
So, did you kill the scorpions?
Selina

Gayle said...

Well Doc your lucky the SF guy didn't just tell you that they tasted like chicken and offer one for you to eat. Those SF guys always so macho and trying to impress others. I know for sure that it is a good idea to shake and pound your boots before you put them on. No telling what kind of a creature would like to call the inside of your boondocks home.

The old man comment was probable meant out of respect. You know how the waiting time is in the hospitals these days. Don't want anyone to end up suing you because he couldn't get his foot or arm looked at in a "timely" manner.

God bless and take care....Gayle

Unknown said...

I took care of one of those Ugandan security guards in Germany. He had suffered an IED blast and lost one arm and one leg. He eventually lost the other leg with us and is being sent to the US to get a prosthetic. He told us we "might as well kill him if we have to take his other leg" since he's have no way to provide for his family. These are very hard working people. I'm not sure what he meant by the comment, but I'm sure he's glad to have you on his team.