Saturday, August 2, 2008

Follow Up in Iraq

It has been a good week. I got a lot busier, mainly taking care of Iraqi soldiers and policemen. There was an IED bomb that I heard, kind of like the big white bangs that you hear at the 4th of July fireworks. Well, I got busy that day. The amazing thing is the character of these soldiers. When they first wake up after surgery, they first ask me if they still have their leg (the injuries usually involve their legs much more frequently than the arms).Fortunately so far I have said yes. The second thing they say to me is “thank you”. Man, that makes my day. Just hearing them say that knowing I helped them out is medicine at its finest. We do have limited equipment, but we get by and do Ok. Sometimes, I have to think on my feet because they don’t have what I am accustomed to working with, but hey, that’s life in the big city. Right? It’s a good day when I know I helped someone when they were having a bad day. Life is good.

Tom

3 comments:

Top Gun said...

Hey Tom - Great to see you are able to keep up with the blog. Hadn't heard from you in a while, and as we're headed to the annual family picnic today - thought I should check. I'll try to remember to go to this site a bit more often, and will bring my laptop to the picnic so my Mom and others can check it out.
It truly is amazing you can save some of those legs...and it is good to hear they are grateful, and you are able to provide that for them. And I was glad to hear that US casualty you treated was able to pull through enough to get to Germany - wonder if we'll ever hear how that turned out...?

Stay cool, and keep the updates and photos coming!
XOXO,
Deb

Christie Schavitz said...

Hey Tom,
It is so great to see that you are doing good. It doesn't seem that long ago when you, Andy and I were sitting at Morgans and you were telling me your plans. I have been telling my friends and new coworkers at Evanston about you and what a great thing that you are doing. I wish I had known about your going away party because I would have loved to see you and tell you how proud I am of you. You are truly an inspiration! Stay safe and keep up the great work!

Your favorite (former) Condell X-ray Tech,
Christie

Unknown said...

Great to see you're helping out just as much as we all knew you would be.

Mom & Dad have date night on Fridays, so mom got a little behind on reading the posts with me. But Deb got Mom & others at the picnic caught up on your messages. Everyone was so happy to read them. And I can tell you my mom becomes more & more proud of you everytime she gets to read one of your messages.

I personally looked forward to seeing your posts this week. And will continue to look for them, especially after I heard about something bad happening over there. Stay safe and keep up the great work! Love the pictures too!

Love
Sue