Sunday, August 3, 2008

More Fun Things



Things are still going well. I am learning a lot of how they do things in the Army. Some are good, some ways are archaic, so I just go along with the flow and do OK.

I am learning about the Iraqi culture. A man is allowed to have more than one wife. I am not sure how they can afford it, but even some commoners have more than one wife. The other day, one of nurses was telling me about one Iraqi policeman who had 5 wives. If say 2 of them were fighting, he would call all 5 of them in, and hit them all to correct things. Man, imagine that going on in America. He would have been buried a long time ago.

The next little story I already emailed to some people, since it was funny, I thought I would put it here.

In category of "Lessons learned in Iraq" we have a pager system here that is pretty much next to completely useless. There are no phones here, very few cell phones. There is no phone in the ward, nor in my hut. There are phones in headquarters and main office for transferring patients and administrative things. So if they need me they page me and I have to go to the hospital to see what’s up. If I am at the gym or dining hall, a half mile away, they send somebody because the pagers don't go that far. So one night about a week ago, a nurse needed me for something. I didn't have a pager because I lost my original one, which they were real happy about. It wasn't too late, 10 PM, but then, I was in bed by 7-8PM. So the nurse comes over to my hut, she knocks on my door. I answer it, but forgot that the door opens out, not in. So when she opens the door out, I don't have a door to stand behind, so I am standing there in my boxers talking to this nurse. Funny thing is she has never knocked on my door since. Oh well, chalk that up to lessons learned.

Somewhere up the chain of command, I guess we are part of the Air Force command. Still not sure how that works, but I guess since we get a lot of soldiers flown in and we next to the airport, we are some division of the Air Force. The groups nickname is "Eagle Medics". The pic is right in front, first thing you see off the airfield. The other pic is my room.

Tom

5 comments:

PK said...

Tom,

It's Pat Keating. I just received your blog site and read through the entire thing. I am very proud
of you for choosing to make a difference when you didn't have to.
I know I will share your stories with my students when we go back to school in a few weeks.
As far as having more than one wife,the Qur'an (holy book for Muslims) states that a man may have more than one wife as long as he can financially and emotionally
support them. The high majority of Muslim men in the world choose to only have one. There are over 1 billion muslims in the world, but
only about a fifth of them actually live in the Middle East.

Keep us posted and keep yourself safe.

PK

Sheri said...

I just read your latest entry it is a funny story, leave it to you Dr. Baier!!! I'm glad that you have air conditioning, at least at night time anyhow. We are all thinking of you, stay strong stay safe Sheri

Sheri said...

I just read your latest entry it is a funny story, leave it to you Dr. Baier!!! I'm glad that you have air conditioning, at least at night time anyhow. We are all thinking of you, stay strong stay safe Sheri

Gayle said...

Dr. Baier, don't let the locals introduce you to any other women or you may come home married again!! Interesting looking berthing space. Not quite like home though. Keep safe.

Marty + Pete said...

Dr. Baier,
We are thinking of you and so proud to say...that's our Dr. Baier over there doing his thing!! Hope your boxers were regulation! You and your son our in our daily thoughts and prayers. Take care.
Marty & Pete