Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What's New in Iraq

I tell you, the first I do when I get to my room at night is check my emails and for any comments on my blog. I really appreciate all the notes and mail.

I know that a lot of people ask for my address to send care packages. I really have just about everything here that I need. It’s the old foot soldiers as they used to be called, the infantry men and women who have it a lot worst than me. They are the ones who could really use the support. There are some very worthwhile programs who support them. Fisher House at Hines VA Hospital, Wounded Warrior Foundation, Marine Parents Organization, and where Nancy volunteer’s, OSOTIL (Operation Support Our Troops, Ill). Anyone interested in supporting the cause, I would appreciate donating to one of them instead of sending me packages. Thanks.

There has been a lot of noise around here lately. Every day I hear at least 3 or 4 times a day, blasts and gun fire. Sometimes it is the Army just shooting things off. Sometimes it is the real thing and a battle is going on. So there is still a war going on outside the my little Disneyland place. Sometimes we get see some of the injured. A lot of times they take the injured Iraqis to a local hospital.
The funny thing about the Army shooting things off is that about 2 or 3 minutes after the blast, then the PA systems announces that they are doing a controlled blast. Not sure what that is, I think they find an IED which they can’t disarm, so they blow it safely.

The medical system here is really self-service. I am told that when we transfer the Iraqis to one of their hospitals, they really don’t have much of a nursing staff. If the soldier doesn’t have family, he is screwed. It’s the family who changes the dressings, bathe them, even have to bring in food for them because the hospital doesn’t feed them. We usually only keep them a few days before they are shipped out. I try to get as much definitive care in as possible before they leave. We only keep them a short time because we are a small facility and don’t want to be tied down if American soldiers need us. I never want to hear complaints about nurses in America again. If someone complains, they should try recovering over here and see how they like it.

Tom

3 comments:

Sheri said...

Hi Dr. Baier!!!! I hope all is well with you. I spoke to one of the girls from the billing office at CMC she wanted you to know they are all very PROUD of you, and you are in their thoughts and prayers. Take care. Sheri/Lib

Gayle said...

Dr. Baier, how big is your uni t bed wise? Tahnk you for the comments about the nursing. As a Nurse and also Military I know just what you are talking about. Our sick call here on base is all minor stuff but it is interesting to see the soldiers and sailors here because they really do want to do their job. Very few malingering for some time off. Mona and I send care packages to shipmates and Nurses I serve with but will be more than happy to support the organizations you listed. Enjoy reading your blog on a daily basis. Your doing good work and we are all proud of you and your son. Interesting article yesterday in the Waukegan newspaper about you and your son. Will keep it for you so when you get back.

Selina said...

Hey there. Wow, we are such spoiled Americans aren't we. The weather is a little cooler here so I won't be complaining when I am running my 15 miles this weekend. If I start whining I will think of you in the 114 degree heat. Only 4 more weeks until IM.

Selina