Saturday, August 16, 2008

There Still Is A War Going On Over Here


I can see how easy it is to get complacent over here. I got used to the bombs going off in the distant, the gun fire and seeing smoke on the horizon. Since we haven't had much trauma lately, which is a good thing, it’s easy to let your guard down. You forget some of your training and precautions that you are trained to take when you hear it all the time. I admit sometimes I forget that I am in a war zone because we are so protected here. The other day I got a reminder. The bad guys shot 2mortar rounds into our base. When you feel your chair move because of the vibrations from the ground, you know it was a little closer than usual. Fortunately, they were just random, shot in the dark mortar rounds that didn’t hit anything significant. But,it is a reminder we still have to take precautions once in a while.

The morale of most of the troops is still pretty good. Things have been quite until today. A group of insurgents were shooting at one of our helicopters. Obviously, they returned fire. They killed all but one, at least from the report I received. He was shot up pretty good, though. He had multiple wounds everywhere. So they packaged him up and brought him in for us. Fortunately, we don’t make decisions on whom we treat or don’t treat. Anyone who comes into our place gets treated. Of course, they are checked and searched before they come in. So our trauma team went to work on him doing everything we possibly could. We put in chest tubes, transfusions and took him right to the OR to do everything we could to help him. We worked on him for quite a while, but nobody quit. I was very impressed how our medical staff pulls together help all comers no matter whom.

I received a gift the other day. I was so proud to have it. I put it up in my room. I thought about outside, but I didn’t have proper lighting and it’s so dusty outside that I didn’t want it to get ruined. I took a picture, so that is the “picture of the day” that I included.

I want to thank everyone who supports me in my efforts. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks for letting me know that you are behind me. I really do appreciate it.

Tom

2 comments:

Marty + Pete said...

Dr. Baier,
Yesterday we were watching a little of the Olympics and in the middle of watching as the American flag was being raised for Gold I actually said out loud...we wouldn't be watching this if it weren't for our troops and veterans...and wish more people waived the flag everyday in honor of that service for this country...as well as for that exciting Gold. Thank you for your service Major Baier. We are thinking of you and always looking forward to hearing from you on your site. Take Care.
Marty & Pete

Selina said...

I do have to say I was reading this and looked at the picture and I am tearing up. I think of what a spoiled country we can be sometimes. Right now I am work and will be able to go home at the end of the day and you guys are over there so we can live this life. I am proud and honored to work with such a gratious guy. What you have done speaks volumes for your character...I hope you know that. Miss you-
Selina